The Itinerant Canuck

Thursday, February 03, 2005

The Day After Groundhog Day

So the little bastard saw his shadow huh. I can never remember if that's good or bad. As someone who grew up appreciating winter in all of its extreme exhilaration, I can't say that I have much stock in either outcome. Though winters down here in the Capitol of the Free and Frightening World are not nearly as fun as those I fondly recall in snowy, frost-bitten Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario. All this damp dreariness feels more like perpetual March. (Or May, depending on your latitude and your attitude).

Luckily for me, I'm heading for the hills of the Canadian Shield on Tuesday for a little nostalgia trip back to my community theatre past. Yes, I'm going back to the Soo for a two week gig...

(FYI - the Soo is what we call Sault Ste. Marie, for those who aren't "in the know." That's how Sault is pronounced - "Soo." Memorize it. It shows up in the NYTimes crossword more often than you'd think. Natives are Sooites or Saultites, depending on your taste. Though I recommend skipping the second spelling. Just looking at it is giving me a headache. It looks like some stunted form of "Stalactites.")

I'll be up in my place of origin to do a concert performance of EVITA (yes, EVITA) for three nights just after St. Valentine's Day. The show was first done in the Soo in 1993 with a community theatre group called the Sault Opera Society. This is sort of an exhumation/revival concert of a sort. I'll be reprising the role of Che (yes, Che), which I played when I was 17 and no more Argentinian looking than I am now. (The most southerly contribution to my gene pool is probably Northern France. The most prominent percentages come from those tropical isles, Eire and Brittania.) I'm going to hit The Motorcycle Diaries and see if I can't pick up a trick or two from Gael Garcia Bernal. It's deductible after all.

But casting nitpicking aside, I am truly looking forward to the experience. It'll be a nostalgia trip and something of a homecoming - my first public performance in Sault Ste. Marie since leaving in 1994 to attend acting school in New York.

"He left a nobody and he came back a STAR!"

For three nights only folks.
If you happen to be wandering through the wilds of Northern Ontario or the Upper Peninsula you want to be sure not to miss it.

Alright. So that's the first post, huh. Pretty simple stuff.
Off to pick up drugs (the legal kind) and hit the bank.
More to come.
MUCH more.
Be prepared.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home