The Itinerant Canuck

Friday, February 04, 2005

That Giant Sucking Sound

Another day slips away with far too little accomplished and far too much still to do. I have pages upon pages of Nazism, British Imperialism and American war policy to read up on before class on Monday. All very exciting, so I can't quite explain why I'm not rapidly gobbling it up. With me, time and productivity have an inverse relationship - the more I have, the less I get done. Can't wait to get working on the next gig. Getting on a schedule is such a godsend.

Got a totally bogus letter from my ex-New York-landlord today. After denying my renewal lease and forcing us to give up the apartment I have now received a pack of contrived false excuses for why he isn't mailing me my security deposit. Having dealt with the slimeball for ten years now it doesn't come as a huge shock. But damn, why can't we all just deal with each other in good faith? It's a fatal Canadian flaw - I can never getting around to assuming the worst about people. If I could, I might manage better. (FYI - a caveat emptor for any New York apartment hunters: the slimeball's name is Louis DeVito. He runs 122-126 St. Mark's Place Associates. And here's another little sleazy tidbit for the pruriently interested among you - the story of another blogger and DeVito tenant who got more than he bargained for on a trip to the office on day. I came across it in a google search. Given my own experience, this also was unsurprising: http://www.christianfinnegan.com/2003_02_16_Archives.html)

Off to dinner with the ex tonight. That's always a roll of the dice. I'm in a frivolous mood today (see above re: no work accomplished), so that should grease the wheels a bit. We'll swing by a free Spanish wine tasting in Dupont first and then be off to somewhere new. I'm sick of the same three restaurants everyone always goes to. It's 2005. Time to branch out.

Speaking of wines (which I do quite often), see Sideways. Brilliant. Beautiful. I found it agonizingly true. Left me weepy on a Sunday matinee last week. It's about wine and depression and connection and friendship (or the lie of it). Great acting, writing, direction. Just the kind of work that makes me feel good to be an actor. I only wish I was doing more of that kind of stuff. It gets the Gold Star. Check it out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home